Monday, August 13, 2007

Munich - added pictures to this post

It's Monday, no Tuesday very early like 5am, little groggy, rolled over to 24hr internet cafe, details in a minute....

The Eagle has landed
Sunday
Ed cooked an awesome breakfast, bluberry pancakes, eggs, bacon. I think Shelly helped. Hung out for awhile in the morning. Watched little Madison play, what a cutie. The plan was for me to roll over to Munich. Going to Munich for 4+ days. Ed booked me a train ticket for Muni @ 1:30pm. Packed a weekender bag. Train trip was okay. Met a couple from Raleigh NC. They were cool. They were spending 3 weeks in Europe going to various destinations, started in London.---- Train trip was interesting from the standpoint of observing regular German people doing their thing. I haven't quite put my finger on it yet, but I definitely got a sense of the German personality, at least for people riding the train. It's weird it's like you can sense a different mindset here compared to the US. Almost like they're going through the motions of life, but in some manner without as much passion. More when I get a better fell for this.




Got into Munich around 5:30pm. Checked into the hostel- Wombats. Staying in a 6 bed dorm room. Hostel is right near the train station, just west of the city center. Threw my stuff into a locker and busted out to the downtown area. Had about 3 hours of daylight left and I wanted to get a sense of the lay of the land.--- Munich very cool. Obviously it's got that international, big city feel. In some ways, it reminds me of New York, but more international. Checked out the main sights Marinplatz, Residence, etc. Very cool. It's interested the way many of the older buildings are integrated into the regular city. In some sense it feels like things are built on top of each other. There was some festival/event on the Marinplatz -city center/gathering area. Hit the Hofbrauhaus which is the big tourist beergarden. Pretty cool. Got my first brat at the Marinplatz- awesome. Went to the Residence which used to be the residence for the "royal" family, now it's a museum. Very impressive. Went over to the Englisher Garden which is like their central park but 5X bigger.------ Munich is all about the beergardens. They're everywhere. So Regan and Cheri were here with Ed and Shelly a couple years ago and they found this beergarden called Augustiner Keller. Let's just say Regan really liked the place. Basically he said if I don't go to the AK, he wouldn't be my friend anymore. Ok Regan, I went down to the Augustiner Keller, but got there too late like 10:30pm, the place was closing down, it was Sunday night. I will say this, the place is freaking enormous. I'll get there again later in the week. Hit the internet cafe, then headed back to the hostel to the Wombar, which is the bar at the hostel. Wobats, Wombar, get it. Cool scene. You gotta love the hostel mentality. Everybody is all about seeing Europe.



Monday
Woke up kind of late about 9:30 or so. Showered, rolled downstatirs to check on what Wombats offered for tours, etc. It just so happened that they were getting ready to do this free tour of Munich, like 2-3 hours. So I hopped in with that. Like 40 people from the hostel were doing it. Guy named Ozzie was conducting the tour. Anyway, I won't bore you with the play by play, but the tour was good. Gave good general overview of historic/downtown Munich.









The tour ended in at beergarden in the Englisher Garden called the Chinese Tower. Freaking huge place.



This is where the day got interesting. Sat down with some guys from the tour and Ozzie and started hitting the liters, Hessen and Summer Beer. Well, that's where things get kind of blurry. Stayed at the Chinese Tower for a couple hours. I know that. We busted out of there, caught the subway to get something to eat, unfortunately I don't know where.






Great food, just don't know where. I kept telling the guys we needed to hit Augustiner Keller. So after eating, we hit some beergarden in suburbs, I don't think it was Augustiner Keller though, something Augustiner, but not the Keller. We had to walk through some sort of downtown area where there were alot of office/business buildings. The buildings have such an "industrial" sort of look. Almost depressing the way they look. Anyway, stayed at this beergarden for a while and then somehow got back to the hostel and crashed. I'm thinking it was around 10 or 11? Woke up once when some new roomates came in. Two chicks. I think they're good looking, was half asleep. I'll know better tomorrow/today. Woke up early, I guess because I went to bed early.

Added pictures to this post. Couple historic shots. Twin towers are the signiture symbol for Munich. Big church in the middle of town. The yellow buiding is under renovation, but thought it was the billboard they put on the front was cool. Guys are surfing in a stream that runs through the Englisher Garden. Shots at the Chinese Tower beer garden and at the subway. Notice the hottie.

2 comments:

Shelly and Ed said...

As long as the US embassy doesn't need to get involved its all good.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I "noticed the hottie!" Who's the dork next to her?

"I haven't quite put my finger on it yet, but I definitely got a sense of the German personality, at least for people riding the train. It's weird it's like you can sense a different mindset here compared to the US."

Maybe it's the lack of independent spirit and confidence that you're noticing. They (euro's) would call it American arrogance!