Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Day Trips 1-Neushwanstein (sp?)

















Okay, I´m back. It´s been a busy 2 days. Would be nice if I had a laptop to write stuff/edit pictures on the train. Which reminds me, I´m not going to post any pictures today. Going to wait til I get to Ed and Shelly´s tomorrow. I´ve had some issues where I´ve lost pictures when downloading at this i-cafe.

Tuesday
So I wake up early after hitting it hard the night before. Post on the blog, then roll back to the room for a little more sleep. My time and sleep are all out of whack. So Tuesday and Wed were planned to be day trip days. I was supposedly going to plan/scope those trips on Monday afternoon/evening. That went out the window with all the Bräu Munchen. So I was kind of winging it Tuesday morning. The day trips I was thinking about were Ludwig´s Castles, and/or Garmisch and/or the Eagle´s Nest, (Hitler´s lodge on the edge of a mountain). After running around a little bit, I hopped in with an organized tour to Schloss Neauschwanstein. It was the best option on short notice. This is the most famous of Ludwig´s castles and probably one of, if not the most visited sites in Germany. The Disney castle in based on this one. Anyway, the tour group was comprised of people from the hostel as well people from other hostels/hotels. The tour guide was a nice girl named Alice. Alice was born and raised in the States, but now lives in Munich as a professinal dancer. Anyway, the castle is near a town named Fussen in the Bavarian Alps which is about 2 hours southeast of Munich. We left about 10 or 11am, so it was going to be a long day. There was a nice American couple who presently live in Italy, that I talked with on the way there. Talked with Alice and the others too.

Basically the deal here is not only seeing the castle, but also hiking and checking out the surrounding landscape. These castles are tucked in the side of mountains/forests which are beautiful. This guy Ludwig II, who was king of Bavaria had like 4 or 5 of these things built. Anyway the tour went well. We saw the castle and did the tour inside, but we also were able to do a fair amount of hiking, which was great. The area is freaking beautiful. There is also this bridge that extends over the fiorde behind/above the castle. We went up to that and got to walk on it. I´m definitely scared of heights. I couldn´t stay on that the thing too long, especially with crowds. The freaking bridge was jammed with people trying to take a picture of the castle. It was almost ridiculous. No, it was ridiculous. I took my picture and got the hell off.

Pictures speak better than words on this one.








When I post pictures you´ll see how magnificent the area and the castle are. Next time I come here, and there will be a next time, I´m just going to go to Fussen for a day or so a do some hiking to check out the other castles.










Keller
So, we get back to Munich between 7-8pm. Alice was trying to convince me to do her Innsbrook tour on Wednesday. But I had pretty much made up my mind to do the Eagles Nest on Wed. But first thing I wanted to do when I got back was figure out where the hell I was the night before. It was bugging me all day. Where was this Augustiner we hit, if it wasn´t Augustiner Keller. So I bolted out of the Haufbahnhof (central train station) on my cloudy memory of very industrial buildings and train tracks. Probably near the train station. Anyway, I head east out of the train station, wonder around a bit. AK is east of the train station itself. Anyway, it doesn´t take long to figure out where we were. There is actually another Augustiner on the opposite side of the train tracks from AK.




Augustiner something. I took a picture of it. It´s more of a hall as opposed to a beer garden. So after thinking about, I think we went to the Keller first then rolled over to the other place to meet someone for some reason.



So I did hit AK after all. But just to make Regan happy, I rolled back over to eat some pork and potatos and drank a liter. The place is freaking huge. It´s now using the outside "garden area". When Regan, Cheri, Ed and Shelly were there a couple years ago in October, they used an enormous cellar/hall since the weather was cooler. I´ll say it again the place is freaking enormous.

After the late dinner, rolled over the to train station to scope out going to Bergdegaten on Wed. It´s like a 3hr train ride. Got that taken care, then rolled downtown to check the city at night. Grabbed beer at the Glockespiel bar. That´s whatever. Then just grabbed another to walk around with. That´s the great thing about this city. First, you can buy beer 24/7. Two, you can walk around in public with an open beer whenever you want. That´s how I´ve been rolling. Just grab a beer and go. It´s awesome. The beer here is awesome. It goes down so easy, yet it´s got great body and taste. That´s quite a combination.

Well, it´s getting late, fill you in on the Eagle´s Nest later. But let me just say it´s the coolest thing I´ve ever seen in my life.

i`m sure there are gramatical/spelling errors in this post, it´s very late

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome Mike... also, Berchtesgaden has a luge course.. check it out. I know all the places you have been. I did them all with snow on the ground! Also try and check out the grounds of the Oktoberfest, their tents may be going up now, as well as the Deutches Museum. IF you go to Garmmische, go up the ski lift on top of the Zugspitz, the tallest mtn in Germany. A very exciting ride up the ski lift I might add..

Great Adventures!
Suz

Shelly and Ed said...

Great, Mike! We are glad you are having a good time, getting your fill (is this possible) of beer, and getting to see the sights. Southern Bavaria is amazing, and B'gaden is spectacular.

See you later today.

san said...

Hey!
So cool. I'm glad you're having a good time. I know exactly what you mean about the bridge. That thing was scary as hell, but at least you get a good picture.
Tschuss!
Sara